Chocolate Krispie Chick
Ingredients for the egg
- 175g milk chocolate, broken into pieces, plus extra for decorating
- 50g Rice Krispies cereal
- 2 x 50g bags chocolate mini eggs
- 2 white chocolate buttons
- 50g golden marzipan
- 25g white chocolate, broken into pieces, plus extra for decorating, melted and cooled a little
Special equipment: 2 chocolate egg moulds, piping bag, rolling pin, flat pastry brush or small paintbrush
- Break the chocolate into pieces and gently melt in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn't touch the water. Stir until smooth, then take off the heat and and stir in the Rice Krispies, mixing well to coat. Spoon half the mix into one of the moulds, then use the back of your spoon to press it into a thick, even layer. Be sure to cover the whole of the inside, leaving a thick edge. Repeat with the other mould and leave in a cool place to set. Put the moulds in the fridge for 5 mins. TIP: Putting the egg halves in the fridge once the chocolate has set makes it easier to add another layer of warm chocolate. Don’t be tempted to leave the moulds in the fridge any longer than necessary as condensation could cause the chocolate to discolour.
- Carefully unmould the eggs. Fill one half with a few mini eggs, then fix the halves together with melted chocolate. Patch any holes with a few extra Rice Krispies and melted chocolate. Leave in a cool place to set.
- To make the eyes, paint blobs of melted milk chocolate onto the white chocolate buttons. Fix onto the egg using a little more chocolate. Spoon the white chocolate into a small piping bag, then pipe a beak and wings onto the egg and allow to set.
- For the feet, roll out the marzipan on a sheet of greaseproof paper to about ½ cm thick. Using a knife, cut out two feet, making them large enough for the egg to sit on. Once the egg has completely set, place the chick on its feet, pressing down so that it stays upright. Finish by scattering some mini eggs around your chick to create a nest.
Recipe from www.bbcgoodfood.com